Re: Trolling (was Re: Debian nolonger claims to be the "Universal Operating System")

On Sat 04 Oct 2014 at 07:42:24 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

> I don't think most of the people who post things like that are "trolls"
> in the classic sense. I think it's more likely that most of them are
> just very, very angry, or possibly just outraged, to the point that it
> overrides both politeness and (at least to some degree) rationality.
>
> Trolling, at least classically speaking, is about "posting to cause a
> furor" - i.e., trying to get a rise out of the surrounding community
> regardless of what you have to say in order to do it. A fair amount of
> what sometimes gets called trolling nowadays doesn't really fit that
> description, and I think it's unfortunate to label it the same way.

Who is it unfortunate for? The "real" trolls? It's nice to have someone
speak up for them and explain their actions. but it is quite possible
they will get by with or without being accorded the label of "classical".

How about these angry, impolite, irrational and insulting non-classical
trolls? Where do they fit in? How should they be treated? I hope after
reading

  [🔎] trinity-cc489298-336a-4100-85b8-84c43c620c90-1412441370324@3capp-mailcom-lxa16">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] trinity-cc489298-336a-4100-85b8-84c43c620c90-1412441370324@3capp-mailcom-lxa16

you are not thinking of saying "with deference".