Re: New install from DVD (via USB flashdrive)

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Mi, 01 oct 14, 19:22:25, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> >
> > You need to be root for synaptic to work.  When you start synaptic,
> > it should ask you to enter the root -- not your user -- password.
>
> That depends on whether the OP configured a root password during
> installation. If not the password of the user created during the
> installation must be used.

I know you CAN install and run Linux without root, but that's
atypical, except with Ubuntu.  I guess we'll find out what the OP did
when he replies.

If the root password suggestion doesn't work, then I'm guessing he
didn't click Reload in Synaptic (I thinks that's what you do -- I don't
use Synaptic) to update the database.