Re: systemd-shim to be removed?

On Thursday, October 2, 2014 2:30:02 PM UTC+5:30, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Mi, 01 oct 14, 19:08:37, Rusi Mody wrote:
> > Looking up the documentation of the package, I see:
> > -------------
> >  This package emulates the systemd function that are required to run the systemd
> >  helpers without using the init service
> > --------------
> > To me, a non-expert user, what sense does this make?
> > Is 2 lines normal documentation for an apt package?

> 2 lines of long description for a package is not unheard of, but it does
> seem suboptimal. Care to suggest an improved wording?

Heh! Yes Ive done my share of filing bug-reports and doc-bugs sure are good to file.
However Ive very little clue about the subject so I dont know what to suggest.

In any case my point is more systemic than it may appear: systemd (from a
ordinary user perspective) is hardly a single package:

- there is some constellation of packages that makes up a systemd-ed debian
- there is a different set that makes up a classic (sysv) system
- there are likely common ones
- and the zillions of others unrelated

Its hard (at least for me) to figure out what goes where.

The above is the static view.

The dynamic view -- the upgradation path -- is even harder because things (apt)
can break unexpectedly. A recent example of mine was that udev and systemd
had gone out of sync and so my networking was broken. So until Michael Biebel
explained it to me (countering others giving wrong explanations) I did not
know that udev had something to with systemd.