Re: New install from DVD (via USB flashdrive)

On Wed, 01 Oct 2014, Alan E. Davis wrote:

> After many years, I have finally gotten a working Debian install.  It
> looks ok, but there are a few issues.

Years?  Why did it take you years?

> The installation media handling of wifi-connections was not
> transparent, but it worked fine.  I had to NOT configure the wifi
> connection, after signing in to the router.  I was unable to contact
> a mirror; however, once I decided to install without configuring
> wifi  during the install, and rebooted, I was connected
> automatically!   Wonderful!   It would be well if the user could
> predict this behavior.

Did you read the installation instructions?  What to do is all there.

Sometimes, mirrors are down or under too heavy a load to respond.

Check /etc/apt/sources.list.  Is the mirror repository information
correct?

> Now that I am connected, however, synaptic does not allow me to
> configure the software components that are "Downloadable from the
> Internet." Checkboxes will not accept any change.

You need to be root for synaptic to work.  When you start synaptic, it
should ask you to enter the root -- not your user -- password.

> Is there any trick one can use here?

No tricks.  No hacks.  Just follow the instructions, the HOWTOs, the
wikis.

> It is awesome that this installer is working this well.  Thank you.

Installers have gotten a lot "smarter," but you still need to know a
little "tech" about installing a distro, if only to understand what is
being asked.