Re: systemd and server use (was: Re: Challenge to you: Voice your concerns regarding systemd upstream)

Am Freitag, 26. September 2014, 23:21:36 schrieb martin f krafft:
> also sprach Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> [2014-09-26 18:26 +0200]:
> > If systemd was just a PID1 with the features you enumerate above,
> > I'd be dancing in the street, not looking for a way out.
>
> Beautiful. I had to:
> https://twitter.com/martinkrafft/status/515611660128903170 ;)

Concern noted, and agreed I am also vary of the sheer size of the systemd
executable. "1,3 MiB are you serious?" I want to ask and probably will ask on
systemd devel. But it for sure would help I think if I weren´t the only one
debian-user subscriber voicing concerns there.

And again I suggest to look at uselessd. Maybe you want to package it? I may
even try it out. I am not sure I feel experienced enough yet to package it
myself. And I decided to give systemd a chance. To take my partly theoretical
concerns like "oh this is big and does a lot" aside for a moment and actually
*experience* first how it behaves in practice.

And to that I had much less issues than I had with PulseAudio.

On my own systems still no PulseAudio, as I still have problems when I use
PulseAudio that simply *go away* on purging it. Last was with OpenAL games
sound with gaps in it. And I voiced quite some of my issues partly loudly to
PulseAudio upstream and there I much more had the impression that I get "thats
not a usual usecase, go away" kind of answers, than so far I had with systemd
debian packagers and systemd upstream.

I even think: systemd debian packagers have quite some pressure to prove now
that systemd as a default is going to work nicely for Jessie. I think this is
an invitation to file any bug or erraneous behaviour you see.