Re: Let's have a vote! I was just banned from debian forum for posting a systemd critical message.

Stephen Allen wrote:
> Deservedly so, in my opinion. I'm sure the silent majority are as sick
> as I am of several people beating this dead horse to death. Most Linux
> distributions are DoCractic, those that do the work, make the rules.

Not to mention drive-by attacks on development communications channels
such as this physical threat posted to #debian-boot last night.

<tuxassesor> Current Debian "Devs" won't listen to users, They won't listen to system admins.
<tuxassesor> They won't listen to programmers. They force systemd on us and laugh "haha soon there will be no distro you can go to!"
<tuxassesor> They should at the very least be beaten. They have kicked from their ranks those who are "not socially acceptable" to women etc. Revenge is needed.

From my POV, that shades on one side into various sexist trolling and
threats that has been rightly rooted out as having no place in Debian
communications channels. And on the less extreme side, it shades into
posts like https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/09/msg01834.html
which don't seem to me very connected with reality, and which in turn
shade into a whole lot of FUD and noise.

Which is all entirely separate from getting things done. While that
trolling was going on, I was involved in triaging this bug report
http://bugs.debian.org/762750 which lead to this one,
http://bugs.debian.org/652459 which ended up in at least a
dozen people collaborating on fixing booting with a separate
/usr partition and systemd.

I expect that it will be possible to use the next release of Debian
without systemd, to the same extent that it would have been if systemd
had not been selected as the default. Beyond filing clear little bug
reports like #762750, voting with
  apt-get install popularity-contest sysvinit-core
seems like a very constructive approach.

--
see shy jo, (For which I suppose I should at least be beaten.)