About dependency creep (was: Re: Challenge to you: Voice your concerns regarding systemd upstream)

Am Donnerstag, 25. September 2014, 12:09:20 schrieb martin f krafft:
> also sprach lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> [2014-09-25 01:45 +0200]:
> > Just one day they might wake up and find out that it was a very
> > bad idea to depend on systemd, and then it'll be difficult to do
> > without.
>
> That day was yesterday. I'll let Paul Venezia echo almost all of my
> thoughts verbatim:
>

> http://www.infoworld.com/article/2608864/data-center/choose-your-side-on-th
> e-linux-divide.html

I bet I may have read this already, will check at a later time maybe.

> But dependency creep is unfortunately nothing new ever since we
> declared next year the Year of Linux of the Desktop and forgot that
> the Universal Operating System should also cater to non-desktops.

Oh, while I for sure see some cases of dependency creep with systemd,
especially with desktop environment depending on logind with systemd upstream
supplies – what business has a desktop environment to depend on an init
system? –, I also see another tendency:

The KDE project has spent *years* of development to reduce dependency creep.

For Plasma and Plasma Workspaces 5 developers split up all KDE components in a
way that many of them can be used *without* installing the rest of KDE. Many
of them are now simple Qt libraries[1]. They have established clear dependency
rules.

So… I think its possible to reduce dependency creep and there is a good case
for it.

And here this example of mine is *exactly* about a desktop environment (and
more).

Also KDE (as in SC 4.14.1) still runs without PulseAudio for example.

Again, I really believe there is always more than one side to something…

Actually I even think ConsoleKit may still be supported by KDE. But as long as
no one steps up and makes a logind outside of systemd… I bet some will do. At
least as long as BSD wants to have desktop environments too.

[1] http://inqlude.org/

Ciao,