Re: There is no choice

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 15:19:50 +0100
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 September 2014 14:53:15 Joe wrote:
> > As Lisi and others have pointed out, the
> > design of systemd and the decision of Debian to make systemd the
> > 'default', or in practice the only init system, are set in stone.
> > There's nothing to discuss.
>
> I have never said anything of the kind.

Not in so many words.

>  I have said only that it is
> up to the developers to decide what they do.  They are volunteers.

Which in practice comes to the same thing. And of course that is
correct, I'm agreeing with you. And I said 'and others', who have been
more forthright, including some outside this list. As I said to John,
I've been doing some reading.

> If someone wants to maintain or develop something else, then
> obviously they can.  There is no stone about it.  But DO something
> constructive.  Maintain sysvinit.

That's not going to help. It is clear that sysvinit is dead, it just
hasn't stopped twitching yet. But it has no future.

>  Write patches for the applications
> that depend on systend so that they do not depend on systemd.  Etc.

I don't believe that can be done in practice, and if it could, it's
beyond my abilities and resources.

> But stop winging.  Stop taking over this list with endless useless
> complaints.

You don't have to read them, I dare say your newsreader can display
subject lines. But if you did read them, you will see people looking
for answers, not just complaining. There is no point in complaining.

> And listen to what anyone else is saying.  You want to be heard.
> Hear others.

That's the whole point. This is where the Debian users are, this is
where they can be heard.

--
Joe