Re: There is no choice

On 09/23/2014 at 10:19 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 September 2014 14:53:15 Joe wrote:
>
>> As Lisi and others have pointed out, the design of systemd and
>> the decision of Debian to make systemd the 'default', or in
>> practice the only init system, are set in stone. There's nothing
>> to discuss.
>
> I have never said anything of the kind.  I have said only that it
> is up to the developers to decide what they do.  They are
> volunteers.
>
> If someone wants to maintain or develop something else, then
> obviously they can.  There is no stone about it.  But DO something
> constructive.  Maintain sysvinit.  Write patches for the
> applications that depend on systend so that they do not depend on
> systemd.

As I have pointed out repeatedly, the problem is not that the
applications depend on systemd; in fact, often they don't.

They depend on external functionality, which happens to be implemented
in systemd, and (at least initially) only in systemd.

There are two possible solutions to this: change systemd so that that
functionality is implemented in a way which does not require systemd to
be PID 1 (and preferably so that the functionality is entirely external
to, and merely depended on by, systemd), or implement the functionality
outside of systemd in such a way that the applications can depend on
your implementation instead.

That latter approach is what the systemd-shim project has been trying to
do; certainly, helping to do so would be a constructive thing to do. But
that project has bugs, and will perpetually be playing catch-up to
systemd, as long as the systemd project does not embrace (which is
distinct from "not reject") the idea of implementing this functionality
outside of systemd itself - and that would be the former approach.

systemd-shim, and the projects it draws on such as cgmanager, are a
workaround for the dependency problems caused by flaws in the design of
systemd. A true fix would have to happen in systemd itself, by changing
that design. However, since that design appears to be actively
intentional, and since changing it in a way which would address those
flaws would be a major project and might involve dropping some features,
it seems highly unlikely that the systemd developers would agree to
making such a change.

> Etc. But stop winging. Stop taking over this list with endless
> useless complaints.

I agree that pure complaints do only so much good, and that that good is
- - at least in practice - fairly limited.

But complaints are not all that has been happening here, and while the
complaints have not been shut down by the posts objecting to the
systemd-discussion traffic, it looks to me as if much of the discussion
which is not purely complaints and might be more potentially useful
*has* been cut off in response to those objections.

If you're addressing only the few people who are doing nothing but
complaining, then okay, fine (although I'm not 100% positive there is
anyone still posting complaints who isn't also, at least occasionally,
saying something worth noting). But the comments I see from you read to
me as if they are directed at everyone who's taking part in the
systemd-related discussions here (aside possibly from people with
specific "I saw this problem, how do I fix it?" questions), which is
overly broad-brush IMO.

> And listen to what anyone else is saying. You want to be heard.
> Hear others.

This I do agree with.

- --
   The Wanderer