Re: excessive CPU usage

On 21. sep. 2014 20:54, Gary Roach wrote:
Hi all

For the last few months I have been plagued by very slow response from my system.
at least one of the processors goes to 100% and stays there for long periods
no noticeable activity in the process tables.
hard drive indicator comes on and stays on

Are your drives healthy?
What is then number in front of "wa" in the "top" output?
Are you running smartd/smartmontools?

If you are running a raid setup with redundancy, you should shorten the error-timeouts on your drives to 7 seconds, with "smartctl -l scterc,70,70".
If you are not running a raid level > 0, go buy a mirror drive stat.