Re: Effectively criticizing decisions you disagree with in Debian

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 22:12:51 -0700
Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Sep 2014, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> > Then please explain to us why, with all of the negative technical
> > aspects surrounding systemd, it looks to be the default init in
> > Jessie.
>
> You can start by reading why I voted for systemd:
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=727708#3661

Yes. Your endorsement was less than ringing. Plus you started with the
assumption that the choice was either Upstart or systemd, ignoring:

* sysvinit

* sysvinit for a little while until a truly good init system (perhaps
  openrc) becomes useable

You specifically spoke against a choice of inits. If there *had* been a
choice of inits, admittedly with all the work that entails, we wouldn't
be having this discussion now.

And you stated that you hadn't learned much about openrc. This was your
only mention of the PID 1 currently powering Funtoo.

> You would also do well to read the statements by the other committee
> members.

Yes. Everyone on this list should read Don's URL **from the top on
down**. Here's the URL to start at the top:

It's a book length page, takes a long time to load, and can't be read
in a day or even a week, but I've gotten 15% through, and it was enough
to tell me that this systemd debacle is a symptom, not the disease.
People who advocated anything but systemd or Upstart were pushed to the
side. People who asked about the vendor lockin were ignored. There was
more --- enough to change my entire outlook on Debian, and I thank Don
for this information. There was little mention of the elephant in
the room that any programmer I know would question: Why the hell is a
GUI desktop project dictating the innards and interface of PID 1. But
don't take my word for it, and don't believe my one paragraph filter of
the information, read it yourself. Seriously, it's an eye opener.

SteveT