Re: There is no choice

Am Sonntag, 21. September 2014, 08:59:16 schrieb Miles Fidelman:
> Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > * On 2014 21 Sep 06:52 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> >> The issue of the day (week) on debian-devel seems to be systemd-shim --
> >> which kind of has to work for anyone to use an alternate init system; but
> >> seems NOT to work (or at least lag  behind).
> >
> > When systemd-shim is forced to chase the taillights of systemd, it is
> > doomed to always lag behind.  As the authors of systemd have apparently
> > opted not to constrain themselves to a stable/published API or limit the
> > scope of their project, systemd-shim will always be in catch up mode.
> >
> > I am most concerned about the systemd project's intention to subsume
> > many other projects rather than simply be a cooperative member of the
> > vast Free Software ecosystem.  It seems to me that this is the source of
> > much of the angst presented here and elsewhere.  To me this is a
> > troubling attitude that overshadows whatever technical improvement
> > systemd sought to bring to the Free desktop.  The angst is a natural
> > reaction to this sort of invasive attitude in what has been mostly a
> > very cooperative community for the previous 18 years that I have been
> > working with and using Free Software.  Unfortunately, this attitude and
> > its product have become a large enough presence that they're no longer
> > just a routing problem.
>
> For what it's worth - the angst is reflected not just here, but on the
> debian-devel and the linux-kernel (kernel developers) list as well (I've
> started monitoring that to see to what extent kernel developers are
> starting to migrate to distros that haven't adopted systemd, and to
> which ones - no conclusion yet).
>
> Maybe systemd will give gnu/hurd, or minix, or plan 9 a boost.

Well, if I were systemd upstream, I think I would ask myself *why* my actions
provoke responses like:

http://boycottsystemd.org/

http://uselessd.darknedgy.net/

developing some systemd compatible services for BSD in a unix conform do it
small and simple manner:
http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20140915064856

I would ask myself *why* my actions polarize so much.

Is it just that I propose *new* stuff and people always resist "new"? Or am I
getting some *important* feedback here?

(And yes, I am tempted to post these questions onto systemd-devel mailing
list.)

In the end I think, the usual open source / free software principiles apply.
If systemd upstream goes too far, I think a fork or alternative will be become
so popular that systemd upstream can only ignore it at declined usage of their
own project.

So far it seems there is quite some acceptance for systemd with those who
decide and implement what goes into the distributions.