Re: Effectively criticizing decisions you disagree with in Debian

Thank you, Don. It needed saying, and you said it well!

Cheers,

Terence

On 21 September 2014 06:12, Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> wrote:
On Sat, 20 Sep 2014, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
> Then please explain to us why, with all of the negative technical
> aspects surrounding systemd, it looks to be the default init in
> Jessie.

You can start by reading why I voted for systemd:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=727708#3661

You would also do well to read the statements by the other committee
members.

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014, Bob Proulx wrote:
> For one by closing bugs without fixing them. As users we are always
> admonished to file bugs. But whether those bugs will be acknowledge
> and handled appropriately depends upon the project. My experience is
> that if it is systemd that the bug will not be handled nicely.

This is because of a combination of not enough volunteers to handle the
bugs, and the bludgeoning of people working on systemd in general as
evidenced on this very mailing list. Package maintainers are only human,
after all.

> Eventually Ben Hutchings got involved, reopened the bug, and objected
> to the kernel maintainers choices being overridden. And therefore it
> was eventually fixed. But if he had not gotten involved I am sure it
> would not have been fixed since it had not been in spite of multiple
> reports.

Yes, that bug could have been handled better. It was eventually resolved
thanks in no small part to the willingness of Ben Hutchings to bring
forward the precise technical issues with the overriding of the default
kernel sysrq mask by systemd. That's the sort of healthy communication
between a user of systemd (Ben) and the maintainers of systemd in
Debian that we all would do well to emulate. [Even though Ben is a
Debian Developer, he has no special powers regarding this particular bug
than anyone reading this has.]

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014, lee wrote:
> Try to provide a Debian package and you'll see that it is so
> ridiculously difficult that it is virtually impossible.

Anyone who is interested in providing Debian packages can contact myself
or debian-mentors@lists.debian.org; there lots of people are interested
in getting new packagers involved in Debian.

See https://www.debian.org/devel/join/newmaint for details.

> Try to help by providing translations, and you'll find it's impossible
> because there's nowhere and no one to offer such service.

Debian's website, installer, and many parts of the software that Debian
provides are all translated. See
https://www.debian.org/international/l10n/ for example.

> What I don't understand is that criticism and other forms of speaking
> up cannot be considered as a form of contribution.

Constructive criticism is often a useful contribution. Destructive
criticism, much less so.

Disagree all you want, but don't malign others when you do so. (Or at
least, don't do it on Debian communication infrastructure.)

--
Don Armstrong                      http://www.donarmstrong.com

G: If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?
EB: Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and
scatter oneself over a wide area.
 -- Somewhere in No Man's Land, BA4