Re: backup drive has died.

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Last night my backup drive died and is now totally unresponsive, but it
> did give this error message when I tried to access it -
>
> Error mounting /dev/sde1 at /media/boudiccas/back1: Command-line
> `mount -t "ext4" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/sde1"
> "/media/boudiccas/back1"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs
> type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sde1, missing codepage or helper
> program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail or so
>

> Is there any way in which I can access the contents of the drive please?

Try to mount it with appropriate options?

Either you can mount it and use it without errors, especially sector
errors, or you can't.  When you get sector errors or when the drive
becomes unresponsive in some way, or when it makes grinding or clunking
noises, replace the drive.

Besides, USB drives are not suited for backups.  Actually, they aren't
really suited for anything unless any reliability whatsoever can be
omitted.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.