Re: embrace, extend, extinguish

On 9/3/14, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 16:41:26 +0200
> Tony van der Hoff <tony@vanderhoff.org> wrote:
>> Then again, endless spreading of FUD on a list that is powerless to do
>> anything about the situation, could, and should, be regarded as
>> trolling.
>>
>> We have seen countless threads on the supposed evilness of systemd,
>> all originated by a few individuals,
>
> Few? Look at your archives. Of those who post about Systemd at all,
> including the ones who just yell "shut up", those against Systemd are
> the majority, and they probably number over twenty.

Sounds accurate. Sounds weighty.
Sounds very far from anecdotal.

This might be a foundation for a GR to remove systemd
from Debian. Any devs around here up to proposing this?

>> who seem to be determined to
>> keep the flame burning.
>
> Could that be because they understand the difficulty involved in
> crafting *BSD into a desktop system that interoperates with the
> majority OS, and because they've been around the block enough to
> understand the consequences of monolithic entanglement? Could it be
> because they don't want to see Debian self-destruct?

Sure. Keep it up though, or your efforts thus far
may just go to waste. We need to keep up the good
oppositional conversation or it'll just kinda fade out
from peoples' consciousness.

I think that anything less than a weekly reminder would
not have a hope of effecting any change.

So, good luck :)

>> None of these will have made any impact
>> either way.
>
> If true, that's quite a statement about how Debian decisions are made:
> With disregard to opinions stated on their user mailing list.

This leads me to wondering: could the devs sanction themselves
in some way for ignoring us users and our *genuine* concerns?

You might remember that in the past I have highlighted that
we users, even those who are subscribed, have absolutely no
franchise (no voting rights) even in regards to our own mailing
list.

> And by the way, did you read the OP's referenced article? If that
> didn't scare the pants off you, well, you have different priorities
> about our OS than I do.

I thought it was pretty amazing personally.

Cheers,
Zenaan