Re: backup drive has died.

On 01/09/14 06:19 AM, Sharon Kimble wrote:
Last night my backup drive died and is now totally unresponsive, but it
did give this error message when I tried to access it -

Error mounting /dev/sde1 at /media/boudiccas/back1: Command-line
`mount -t "ext4" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/sde1"
"/media/boudiccas/back1"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs
type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sde1, missing codepage or helper
program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

Is there any way in which I can access the contents of the drive please?

If not, is it safe to format it and re-use it please? If so, what should
I format it as ? ext3? ext4? Or something else?

It has for some months been showing this message in logwatch -

  WARNING:  Kernel Errors Present
     EXT4-fs (sde1): error count since last ...:  1 Time(s)
     EXT4-fs (sde1): initial error at time 13973814 ...:  1 Time(s)
     EXT4-fs (sde1): last error at time 13973814 ...:  1 Time(s)

and I did query what it meant and what I should do about it, but I was
reassured that it was OK and nothing needed to be done. In the light of
what's just happened, wrong!

Thanks
Sharon.
Install smartmontools on your system and check the backup drive's SMART status. Something like
  smartctl -H /dev/sde

If it passes, then reusing is OK. Otherwise, try to recover what you can by making a copy of the disk using dd-
rescue.