backup drive has died.

Last night my backup drive died and is now totally unresponsive, but it
did give this error message when I tried to access it -

Error mounting /dev/sde1 at /media/boudiccas/back1: Command-line
`mount -t "ext4" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/sde1"
"/media/boudiccas/back1"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs
type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sde1, missing codepage or helper
program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so

Is there any way in which I can access the contents of the drive please?

If not, is it safe to format it and re-use it please? If so, what should
I format it as ? ext3? ext4? Or something else?

It has for some months been showing this message in logwatch -

 WARNING:  Kernel Errors Present
    EXT4-fs (sde1): error count since last ...:  1 Time(s)
    EXT4-fs (sde1): initial error at time 13973814 ...:  1 Time(s)
    EXT4-fs (sde1): last error at time 13973814 ...:  1 Time(s)

and I did query what it meant and what I should do about it, but I was
reassured that it was OK and nothing needed to be done. In the light of
what's just happened, wrong!

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian testing, fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.93.1