sound problem debian wheezy

Two weeks ago I installed Debian wheezy and was using pulse audio with
good results. Then suddenly the external mic wasn't working. I removed
pulse from the system and the process seemed to have made alsa the
sound system. I also added some alsa stuff. The commands for this:

	sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils
gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio libpulse-browse0 paman pavumeter pavucontrol

	sudo rm /etc/asound.conf

	rm ~/.pulse-cookie

	rm -fR ~/.pulse

	sudo apt-get install alsa-base alsa-tools\
	   alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils alsa-oss\
	   alsamixergui libalsaplayer0

Still no external mic. By 'external mic' I mean the one I plug into
the round port, not a USB mic.

The machine is a lenovo t400

I checked that the hardware is ok by using it under windows dual-boot.

I am sure that people need more info than this, but I have no idea
what that info might be.