Re: Finding a replacement for my ISP's smtp server

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 1:49 PM, Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...] The SMTP server does not show, as involving TLS (I have no
> idea, as to what is TLS, only that it is something that has to be
> addressed in the INBOX path),

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_Layer_Security

What we used to call Secure Sockets Layer (as in openSSL which has not
changed its name to openTLS).

Using TLS with e-mail usually involves clicking a box that says
something like "Use TLS" and maybe/probably another that says
something like "Use STARTTLS".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STARTTLS

and setting the port number for SMTP connections in the "Advanced"
settings. 465 is supposed to be a common TLS port for SMTP, but I
don't recall having used that port in the last ten years or more.

The OP will need to check with his mail providers (some of which will
not be his ISP) to find out what port(s) can be used.

Mail providers have web pages for popular mail client setups, and you
have to interpolate a bit from the popular MUA clients to whatever
you're using. Mutt, Claws, Sylpheed, etc., are not generally
considered "popular" enough, but you can usually figure out what goes
where bye scanning through the MSOutlook and Apple Mail help pages.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.