Re: Finding a replacement for my ISP's smtp server

On Sat 26 Jul 2014 at 19:56:12 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> I've known for a long while that there was something
> strange about sending mail via my ISP. They have made
> it clear in that they do not require or use TLS. It

You have to authenticate yourself when you join your ISP's network. No
further authentication is needed to use their SMTP server; you are a
trusted user so TLS is therefore not required.

If you send mail through the same server when you are on another network
an ISP doesn't trust you and (if they allow the server to be used in
this circumstance) might want authentication over TLS.

> occurs to me that perhaps my computer does not have
> installed the appropriate certs to function with TLS.
> How would I ever have known they were missing if they
> were not being used? So maybe their goofyness has allowed me to miss
> something that I was doing something wrong from way back when I first got
> started
> in Debian in about Y2K. Certs are used for https and
> these must be on the computer because it manages to
> connect to my banks (2) , but maybe the ones needed to do SMTP are some

The certs used with https are for your benefit, not the benefit of the
web site.

> different? How can I check. I have found some instructions for using gmail

You only need a cert if you are *receiving* mail using your own SMTP
server.

> as a smart host and I'm trying to follow them, but things are not
> working. When I press the 'y' key in mutt to send an

What benefit to you is there in using gmail's server to relay mail for
you? In what way is your ISP's server deficient?

> email, the message 'sending...' displays in the bottom
> line, but it stays there for many minutes when it once would accept an
> email is just a few seconds. How can I
> find out what is happening during that time? Is there
> some debug tool?
>
> Thoughts or suggestions?

Of possible use:

   [🔎] 0c9db5f869098cadf984beb91ffe3950.squirrel@webmail.myownsite.me">https://lists.debian.org/[🔎] 0c9db5f869098cadf984beb91ffe3950.squirrel@webmail.myownsite.me