Re: Theme control in Xfce4

On 20140726_0639+0200, Bzzzz wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 22:26:02 -0600
> Paul Condon <pecondon1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > on with my imperfect eye-hand coordination. I want the old Crux
> > back. Is there a package of 'legacy' themes? What is its name?
>
> I don't know if it can be recovered; however, you could  go in
> /usr/share/themes as root, create your own theme directory,
> copy the actual Crux theme in it and modify it according to
> your needs.
> This way, whatever the changes, you'll be able to keep it
> the way you want.

Because of a totally different malfunction, I am using gmail to post
my question to this list in spite of my total unfamiliarity in its
proper use. Now I am unsure of how to link this reply
into the thread started by my original post. There must be a way,
in the gmail user interface, to post a reply to a list, but maybe
not. Oh well.

Back to composing the reply to Bzzzz:

I found the theme collection where you said it would be. The content
of a theme seems to be a collection of text files with names matching
the _expression_ '*.xpm' I know how to copy the whole lot of them into
a different directory in a different place where I could modify them,
but what is xpm? I think it might be possible for me to learn enough
about xpm to make the change needed, if you can get me started.

A question about what I found: In the themes directory, there is also
a theme named 'Cruxish' (just after 'Crux' in alphabetical order), but
in Xfce4 Applications Menu -> Settings -> Appearance
Crux appears in the pick-list of themes, but Cruxish does not. Perhaps
all I need to do is make Xfce4 offer me Cruxish?

OTOH, your suggestion of making my own personal theme and squirreling
it away somewhere where I can recover it across dist-upgrades and
netinst is the better long term solution.

Your advice?

--
Paul E Condon