Re: fsck progress not shown on boot with systemd as pid 1

(Sorry if this turns out to be a resend; there's been a hiccup on my
end, and due to the usual variable lag before I receive messages I send
to the Debian lists, I don't know if it got sent before or not.)

On 07/25/2014 04:21 PM, Michael Biebl wrote:

> Am 25.07.2014 22:02, schrieb The Wanderer:
>
>> On 07/25/2014 03:33 PM, Michael Biebl wrote:

>>> If the system is booted with the "quiet" kernel command line
>>> option, no messages are shown by systemd.
>>> You can either remove "quiet" from the kernel command line or use
>>> the
>>>  systemd.show_status=true|false
>>>  systemd.sysv_console=true|false
>>>  systemd.log_level=
>>>  systemd.log_target=
>>> boot options to control that in a fine grained manner.
>>
>> Is there any plan to do either of these things in the
>> Debian-default configuration (and possibly update existing installs
>> to match, if unmodified)?
>
> No, there is no such plan.

Which means, by process of elimination, that the plan is for the
Debian-default behavior to change.

As long as that's the conscious intention, there's nothing inherently
wrong with that. I do think it's something that should be chosen
explicitly, however, rather than just an unintended (and possibly
un-realized) side-effect of a different choice.

However, I'm not sure what the appropriate way to bring this behavior
change to the attention of the appropriate maintainers - to make sure
that they are, in fact, making it intentionally - would be, or indeed
who the "appropriate" maintainers are. (I'm guessing either the
maintainers of the Debian kernel packages, or the maintainers of the
Debian grub packages and the like, but I'm not certain.) Any ideas in
that direction?

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.