Re: End of hypocrisy ?

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 14:11:21 +0100
Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 07:30:40AM +0200, Erwan David wrote:
> > 	systemd-shim is no more an option in testing. the whole
> > systemd with all its bugs (very low shutdown, no suport for
> > policy-rc.d, etc..) is forced to users.
> >
> > It was said that we would have a choice. Were is the choice ?
>
> "testing" is the next version of Debian, currently in development.
> There will be bugs introduced and fixed within testing prior to it
> being rubber stamped as a 'stable' release. If stability is what you
> need, 'stable' is what you should use.

I use stable (currently Wheezy) and love it. Everything works. Except
for a silly glitch where interfaces lo and eth0 and wlan0 sometimes
don't work or stop working, requiring an ifdown;ifup sequence, there's
nothing stupid about Wheezy. LOL, try saying that about any other
distro.

Other people mention that the software is old, but I don't think
there's one piece of software I felt the need to replace with a newer
version. And even if there were, ./configure;make;make install. Or I
hear there are even more Debianesque ways of getting a newer version of
a single program. And of course, when you have a problem and "that guy"
says "you're using an old version, upgrade to version x.y.z", you ask
him whether your current version is known to produce the problem under
discussion.

I've never used testing or unstable, but speaking for stable, I find it
wonderful.

SteveT