Re: Skipping releases on dist-upgrades [was: Re: Is this safe?? Chrome in Debian 6]

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 6:02 AM, Andrei POPESCU
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sb, 19 iul 14, 18:34:28, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> This was discussed on debian-devel@. I'm sure that if you asked those
>> who want this supported they'd tell you that this isn't what was
>> decided and if you asked those who didn't want this supported they'd
>> tell you that this is what was decided (unless I'm mis-remembering the
>> thread).
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/wheezy/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#system-status
>
> Direct upgrades from Debian releases older than 6.0 (squeeze) are
> not supported. Please follow the instructions in the Release Notes
> for Debian 6.0 to upgrade to 6.0 first.

Thanks. I hadn't seen that. (And there's a typo: "upgrade to version
7.0 first".)

What do you want to bet though that there'll be a lot of pushback
against this in the form of a long email flame war?