Re: putty login - running gnu screen causes putty console to shrink

Stephen Powell:
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 00:00:56 -0400 (EDT), Jochen Spieker wrote:
>
>> termcapinfo xterm* 'is=\E[r\E[m\E[2J\E[H\E[?7h\E[?1;4;6l'
>
> That's interesting.  I've never encountered this, as I don't use the
> "screen" package.  If I need multiple terminal sessions, I just launch multiple
> PuTTY sessions.  I guess I don't see the need for screen.

The best thing about screen isn't the multiplexing part, but that you
are able to start a program, disconnect the terminal while keeping the
program running and reattach later. Besides tmux I don't know of a
usable alternative to do that.

> But in any case,
> I don't understand the design of screen.  Why does it need an external
> definition of terminal type characteristics in a configuration file?
> Why doesn't it rely on the terminfo information stored in ncurses?

I will not pretend to know anything about these things. I only
copy-pasted this line from the web. :)

J.
--
I wear a lot of leather but would never wear fur.
[Agree]   [Disagree]