Re: nvidia-driver disappeared from testing

On 07/17/2014 01:49 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2014-07-17 01:53 +0200, Jonas Lippuner wrote:

It looks like the nvidia-driver package disappeared from
testing/jessie. When I try to install it from sid, it complains about
broken dependencies. Anybody else seeing this? Anybody know how to fix it?

The Nvidia drivers have been removed from testing since they are not
compatible with xorg-server 1.16[1,2,3].  Stick to your current 1.15 X
server or switch to nouveau.

At least for the current and the 304 legacy drivers Nvidia has released
updates, so interested people should consider helping to package them.
The current maintainers have not responded to the bug reports linked
below. :-(

Running jessie/sid here and after this morning's update I am at:

X.Org X Server 1.15.99.904 (1.16.0 RC 4)

Where are you all seeing xorg 1.16.n?

To the OP: I install and maintain the proprietary nvidia driver myself w/o getting it from the repos. I'm at driver level 340.24 and everything works like a charm. x.org and mesa updates sometimes clobber the library links for the nvidia driver but a simple driver re-install fixes it.

JB

John Bleichert    -    syborg@earthlink.net
The heat from below can burn your eyes out!