Re: System Temperature sensing

On 07/14/2014 10:31 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
On 07/14/2014 07:58 PM, Bzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 19:15:27 -0700
Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com> wrote:

lm-sensors sometimes needs tweaking (formulas to get the
right temperature(s)).

My motherboard is a Gigabyte 970A0-DS3.
Are you sure about that, searching:  gigabyte 970A0-DS3
doesn't return results (look at the silkscreen printing
on your board; also take care to get the revision number).

Ooops!  An extra zero slipped in.  That should be:

    Gigabyte 970A-DS3

I have been using psensors to monitor the changes and I'm not liking what I see. Over the past 30 minutes the ranges for the three motherboard temps are as follows:

    Temp 1: 32 C to 33 C    Max since reboot 38 C
    Temp 3: 28 C to 48 C    Max since reboot 56 C
    Temp 2: 43 C to 54 C    Max since reboot 54 C

Additionally, the temperatures are constantly spiking. They will find a baseline level that might be only a few degrees above the minimum, but every few seconds the spike up anywhere from 2 to 5 degrees. The chart is just littered with these spikes. Right now, even with the side of the case completely off for the past hour the temperatures are closer to the upper end of the range than to the lower end.

Should I get myself a case fan, or two. The side vent seems to be drilled to take two 120mm fans and the back can take a single 80mm fan. Or should I be looking straight to a new motherboard? I would rather not have to go through that, again, so soon. I don't remember just when I bought this one, but I don't think that is was more than a year, or two. I remember having trouble with the new memory sticks when I got the board. And, of course, a new board almost certainly means a new processor, and the costs just keep rising...

Marc