Re: gedit ugly under xfce

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 17:15:36 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 20:39:56 +0000 (UTC)
> "Juan R. de Silva" <juan.r.d.silva@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 20:29:56 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
>>
>> > Turns out it didn't eat it, it just made characters invisible. Here's
>> > the start of the thread:
>> >
>> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-users/2014-July/007303.html
>> >

>> I confirm this. Here's my post about it on that thread:
>>
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/xubuntu-users/2014-July/007320.html
>>
>> Though I spent quit a bit of time to figure it out. Well, plus a bit of
>> frustration thinking the file was lost. But... At the end there was a
>> "Happy End." :-)
>>
>> Nevertheless, I did not neither Mousepad nor Leafpad and with some help
>> found a very good substitution for both - Pluma a default MATE text
>> editor, a fork from venerable GNOME2 gedit. Looks excellent in XFCE.
>>
>> Another one I installed and I like it is Geany. But this one is for
>> more serious work.
>
> :-) Juan, a happy ending *this time*. Can I safely assume that from now
> on you'll be backing up your work, right? :-)
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt                *  http://www.troubleshooters.com/
> Troubleshooting Training  *  Human Performance

It's a "difficult" question?.. :-) Well, I mean I always do regular
backups. Up to date I was making them daily, weekly, and biweekly. I use
rsync based script to make snapshot-style backups. As it appears from my
last experience "daily" is not enough. Should I make them hourly, half-
hourly?.. May I leave the last sentence endlessly open? :-)

All we can do is trying to minimize the loss. However some kind of loss
is unavoidable if an app misbehaves so badly as it happened in my case.

BTW, about "bupsky" script you shared with me... It's very nice while
working with files in console, like using vim, or nano, or anything like
this. I do most of my file editing work in GUI editors. So, in this case
it's not very helpfull. Right? Or I'm missing something?