Re: gedit ugly under xfce

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 22:34:18 +0400
Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi.
>
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 07:46:07PM +0200, Bzzzz wrote:
> > When I launch gedit, it just have ugly upper and lower
> > gray bars (with controls & information), but no XFCE
> > decoration, especially the close/minimize buttons (and
> > no upper bar from the theme).
> >
> > grdestop has XFCE decoration.
> >
> > Is it normal or do I miss some pkg(s)|setup?
>
> This is … an expected behaviour from any GTK+3 application launched
> outside of GNOME. Googling 'GTK3 client-side decorations' will provide
> you with all the gory details.

There are so many great window manager/desktop environments (WM/DE). I
used Xfce for years, love it, but yeah, it has a few deficiencies.
Start by trying LXDE. I think it's better than Xfce in every respect
except difficulty with multiple panels, and the slow mouse.

Openbox is great if you don't need a panel. dwm and I3 are wonderful if
you like slim tiled interfaces. If pretty is what you want, why not use
Gnome3? Yeah, it's a whole different kind of animal, but I've seen it
used by a guy who understood how to use it, and it can be very
productive and very pretty.

You know, so many people believe that the distro and WM/DE are a
package deal, which is why everyone fled Ubuntu after Unity. There are
zillions of outstanding WM/DEs to pick from, no matter what distro you
choose.

SteveT