Re: networked multi-function colour laser printers

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 15:58:56 +0100
Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:

Hello Richard,

>Yes, but in fact the printing side is usually manageable -- the main
>problem being that CUPS mysteriously finds more and more copies of the

I've not experienced that here, but my experience may be uncommon, IDK.
As you say though, it's usually other things that cause issues, not
printing.

>setting up a new printer.  The difficulty comes in persuading SANE to
>even see the machine on the network.  Samsung have an excellent

Just double checked, and XSANE finds the scanner part of my HP and can
perform scanning control.  It is a networked device, BTW.  Connected via
cable, but does have WiFi capability.

>It is beginning to sound as though HP is the only safe way to go.

Despite their problems (not everyone likes HP's business model), they do
appear to be more open to Linux users and developers than some other
companies.  They even run an hplip forum for those needing support under
Linux.  IIRC, there's no telephone support for Linux users, that seems
to be for Windows only.  But it's better than nothing.

--
 Regards  _
Your life is like a schedule, you run to meet the bills