Re: networked multi-function colour laser printers

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 14:38:46 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 14:13:22 +0100
> Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> wrote:
>
> Hello Richard,
>
> >I see that HP and OKI both claim to offer Linux drivers, for example.
>
> With HP, by and large, you don't need to install their own drivers.
> Here, I install hplip and drivers (from the repos).

Yes, but in fact the printing side is usually manageable -- the main
problem being that CUPS mysteriously finds more and more copies of the
network printer, and it is difficult to know which one to choose when
setting up a new printer.  The difficulty comes in persuading SANE to
even see the machine on the network.  Samsung have an excellent
universal installer -- but when it fails on some distros, you are
borked.

> I used to use a Business Inkjet 1200 without problems, and currently use
> an Officejet 6700 multifunction device (print/scan/fax).  Okay, so not a
> laser, but even so....

It is beginning to sound as though HP is the only safe way to go.

Thanks

richard

--
Richard Lyons