Re: [OT] Abbrevition or contraction [was UEFI] someone does

On Sunday 13 July 2014 13:31:45 Chris Bannister wrote:

> > > No, it's an abbreviation, not a contraction.  As a contraction it would
> > > be M'r.
>
> This is interesting 'Abbreviations : Capital Letters and Abbreviations':
> http://www.sussex.ac.uk/informatics/punctuation/capsandabbr/abbr
>
> and
>
> Contractions : The Apostrophe
> http://www.sussex.ac.uk/informatics/punctuation/apostrophe/contractions

" Writing things like hippo', bra', 'cello and 'phone will, not to mince
words, make you look like an affected old fuddy duddy who doesn't quite
approve of anything that's happened since 1912."

I shall continue to use 'phone in colloquial writing and telephone in formal
writing.  I have no problem with its resulting in my being labelled a
fuddy-duddy. ;-)

Lisi