Re: [OT] Abbrevition or contraction [was UEFI] someone does

On Fri 11 Jul 2014 at 16:33:52 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:

> > On 7/11/2014 3:25 PM, Brian wrote:
> >
> > > You are going to hate me for this: there is no "." after Mr; it is a
> > > contraction. (Off-topic is that way ----------->).
> > >

> > No, it's an abbreviation, not a contraction.  As a contraction it would
> > be M'r.

This is interesting 'Abbreviations : Capital Letters and Abbreviations':
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/informatics/punctuation/capsandabbr/abbr

and

Contractions : The Apostrophe
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/informatics/punctuation/apostrophe/contractions