Re: Video files conversions - was - Re: watching films full screen

On Wed 09 Jul 2014 at 13:46:02 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

> On 09/07/2014, Bzzzz <lazyvirus@gmx.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > About MTS trouble, vlc doesn't claim to support it:
> > http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.php?cat=video
> > a common troubleshooter is to convert it to AVI (or MOV,
> > or whatever container supported by vlc) with avidemux
> > (use 'copy', don't transcode).
> >

> Do you happen to know whether such a conversion, would work to convert
> .qs files to .avi files, and, if so, whether that would overcome the
> problems that I have experienced with some .qs files, when  being
> viewed using vlc?

In a previous mail

   https://lists.debian.org/CACX6j8MLmQ=4kSAW3QvcWfH8bMFNt2=94ZFDdAGMf8zH8j38Jw@mail.gmail.com

you supplied the following information:

  Stream 0
  Type: Video
  Original ID: 512
  Codec: MPEG-1/2 Video (mpgv)
  Resolution: 720x576
  Frame rate: 50

I'd expect something like ffmpeg or vlc to be capable of extracting the
video (and audio) from the .qs file. The video could be viewed to assess
its quality. If it is poor I do not think putting it and the audio in a
different container (which ffmpeg can do) would improve anything.

(ffmpeg comes with ffplay, which may be worth a try).