Re: how to obtain pkg not available for my version (jessie)

The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> writes:

> On 07/08/2014 09:45 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> How does one obtain pkgs (encfs in this case) that are not available
>> to an `aptitude' search of pkgs for jessie?
>>
>> It appears that the pkg in question (encfs) is available for wheezy.
>>
>>   https://packages.debian.org/stable/encfs
>>
>> So how to get to it, without jacking up my sources.list or some other
>> pitfall?
>
> http://snapshot.debian.org/binary/encfs/

[...]

> You might want to look into *why* this was removed from jessie,
> though...

Good point... a little googling hasn't revealed anything definitive,
but I often seem to be using poor search terms.

I've found comments to the effect that encfs has multiple security
issues... I did not find a clear description of what they are.

Does anyone here know why encfs was not included in `jessie'?

Also I know there are 1 or 2 other choices to do some of the same type
of stuff... Those may be a better bet... any one able to plug for a
specific technique to accomplish this setup:

All I really do is keep smallish (less than 2 GB) directory with the
contents encfs encrypted.

Contents are a collection of piles of receipts, notes, licenses for
software, and any other flotsum.. I felt a need to hang onto, byt did
not want it in clear text.

I only expect it might be enough to ward of the casual script kiddie,
that might get into my system thru my own carelessness.
I seriously do not expect to be targeted by serious black hats.