Re: UEFI

Ahoj,

Dňa Thu, 10 Jul 2014 01:49:12 +0800 Bret Busby <bret.busby@gmail.com>
napísal:

> On 09/07/2014, Bzzzz <lazyvirus@gmx.com> wrote:
>
> > BTW, sorry to hijack a bit this thread, but what could
> > be the advantages to use UEFI (I just have Debian on my
> > laptop and disabled it from ancient posts I read).
> >

> It is my understanding (and, once again, I am no expert), that two
> distinct advantages of a UEFI/GPT system ofer what it replaced, are
> that no differentiation exists, between primary and other partitions,
> and, a UEFI/GPT system, can have up to 128 partitions.

I am no expert too :-)

The advantages mentioned by you are true (of course). Only small note,
that the partition advantage is GPT (partition table) property, and to
you can use GPT, you need UEFI, because old BIOS cannot work with GPT,
not the UEFI itself.

The UEFI itself has only small advantages (from my point of view), if
any, and i see it as mostly marketing thing, but it allows to run more
complicated things (without OS start) than BIOS's setup only. I hope,
that in future, there will be more useful UEFI applications, than eye
candy setup utility and nothing solving Secure boot...

regards

--
Slavko
http://slavino.sk