Re: I'm not a huge fan of systemd

Ric Moore wrote:
On 07/08/2014 05:18 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

I'm kind of reminded of spending two days to figure out that udev had
changed the device numbering associated with a new ethernet card - which
blew all of our network configurations out of the water. The hairs on
the back of my neck are warning me that my next Debian upgrade is going
to bring lots of similar pain.

A clean install fixes that. But that is a nightmare to recover everything back to working order as well, so I pretty much leave our server the heck alone and just update security packages. Ric

That's been my attitude, but... while most of our stuff is running Squeeze, which provides some breathing room, our most stable production server (mail, list hosting) is a Xen virtual machine that's still running Lenny (wiring postfix, spamassassin, amavisd and a list manager together is no fun, and seems to require manual "plumbing" every time - it's working, so I've been putting off a migration as long as possible). But... now that updates are no longer available for Lenny, it seems like it's time to bite the bullet. I'd just as soon wait for Jessie to become stable and migrate everything - then leave it alone for a few years. Just thinking about the impacts of all the low-level changes makes me wince.

Miles