Re: Iptables

On 06/27/2014 02:00 PM, Diogene Laerce wrote:

[that someone else wrote:]

>> Please don't hijack an existing thread when you open a new topic.
>> You have done this twice on this thread which was originally titled
>> "Resizing LVM issue".
>
> I didn't or at least not on purpose. I just reply to the list on a
> random message and make a new topic of it for light convenience. I
> didn't know it could do any harm. And actually, I even don't
> understand how you can know that ? Please explain, I will sleep a bit
> light less dumber tonight. ;)

Every E-mail or newsgroup post made by a standards-compliant mail
program contains a theoretically-unique ID number, called the Message-ID
header.

When you hit Reply on an E-mail using a modern mail client (and quite a
few non-modern ones), in addition to generating a new Message-ID for
your reply, the mail client creates another header called "In-Reply-To".
It copies the Message-ID from the original mail into this new header.

Then, when someone receives both the original mail and your reply, their
own mail client can use these two headers to figure out that "these two
mails belong together, in this order".

Some mail clients (such as Thunderbird) can use that information to
display a nested hierarchy of "which mail is a reply to which", which I
find very useful; others just use it for "conversation view"-type
sorting; others ignore it entirely. If someone using a mail client which
is configured to not ignore that information receives both messages,
they will immediately be able to tell that your message is a reply, even
if you changed the Subject line.

The essential takeaway from this is that if you want to create a new
thread on a mailing list or similar public forum, it's not good enough
to just hit Reply on an existing mail and change the Subject line; you
need to create a New mail instead, and enter the To address separately.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.