Re: Remove unwanted, orphaned files and dependencies

On 06/06/2014 06:19 AM, Horatio Leragon wrote:

[that on 2014-06-06 at 1:51, Bob Holtzman wrote:]

>> BTW, do you know the difference between a forum and a mailing list?
>> You seem to use "forum" as a catchall.
>
> A forum is a website whose members can post topics, questions and
> answers. On the other hand, one needs to use an email account to do
> the above?

Historically speaking, the word "forum" goes back to Greek or Roman
times (I forget which offhand), when it referred to a literal place
where people would meet to discuss things.

As such, a "forum for discussion" can be any place where people go to
discuss things, or to leave messages for other people to respond to, or
the like. Even a physical bulletin board can qualify.

However, although a "mailing list" and a "Web forum" can both qualify as
a "forum for discussion" in a technical sense, they are very different
things. If you're referring to a Web forum, you should not call it just
a "forum", and if you call a mailing list a "forum", you should not
thereby imply that it shares any particular characteristics with a Web
forum.

>> I sure could have but every once in a while I get the urge to try
>> to assist other posters to educate someone who sorely needs it.
>> Unfortunately, it seems you're impervious.
>
> Yes, you're right. I'm impervious. What do you plan to do?

So... as far as I can tell, either you've just admitted that you're
incapable of learning and are beyond help, or you've just admitted that
you're trolling.

In either case, the only thing to do would be to begin outright ignoring
you (possibly via killfile), and advise other people to do the same.

- --
   The Wanderer

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.