Re: Should hostname always be lower case?

	The domain name system is totally case-insensitive so
FiReFlY.HardknocKs.cOm will lookup as firefly.hardknocks.com. I
have been administering the domain name servers for the
okstate.edu domain since around 1992. We use dynamic DHCP name
registration and the names that folks register are loaded with
mixed-case names or names that are all upper case. The only time
it matters is when we are trouble-shooting a problem and someone
is looking for a certain name in a zone transfer and the name
they are looking for is stored with upper or mixed case. The
person working on the zone transfer must always remember to do
something like a grep -i so that they don't miss the right name
but in a different case than was expected.

Martin McCormick