Re: Debian 7.x and desktop environments

On Sat, 2014-05-03 at 15:10 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Robert Holtzman writes:
> > Those packages should be part of an OS install, not a DE, or am I
> > wrong?
>
> Why would you want an office suite and a graphical browser on a
> server?

https://packages.debian.org/wheezy/task-xfce-desktop

It's a meta package that likely is helpful for people with averaged
needs, who want to get something similar to an averaged Windows install.
Since it's a meta-package, nobody needs to install it, IMO it's a good
idea to provide such a package. I never ever would install it. E.g.
libreoffice for sure is a useful office suite, but for my needs AbiWord
is good enough and usually I even don't use AbiWord, I use Evolution's
editor, Pluma, Kate, Sublime Text or Nano. Btw. on the one hand to
recommend libreoffice and on the other hand to recommend mousepad IMO
does make clear, for what target group the meta-package is intended.