Re: jigdo have 10 DVDs, and HTTP/FTP only 3

On 05/02/2014 09:12 AM, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I was intrigued few days ago to notice the 10 DVDs available from jigdo.
> In my memory, debian was only 3 DVDs... but I thought that it was
> because stuff were bigger than before, or that there could be more
> packages.
>
> Now, trying to fetch the hashes, I used the FTP/HTTP page, and there are
> only 3 DVDs. I guess those are not the same ones, so those hashes are
> not usable, but it's not my question.
>
> What is the content difference between jigdo and http ISOs? ( I know
> what is jigdo and how it works, my question is about the content of the
> ISOs. )

Respectfully, if you're asking this, then you don't understand how jigdo
works.  What you asked is like asking what's the difference between the
http and bittorrent versions.  Nothing, it's just a different way of
getting the iso. Each approach has pluses and minuses compared to one
another.

In the case of jigdo, you download most of the iso via Debian package
mirrors. The benefit being that if you already have a local/fast mirror,
you're only downloading a few MB from the internet for the templates.
Also, old images can be used to build newer ones, so you're only
downloading the changes.

It's worth noting that jigdo pre-dates bittorent, at the time it was
conceived, there really wasn't any other way to distribute the load of
new releases efficiently. Personally I found it to be a brilliant and
really cool idea.  Even with bittorent being available now, jidgo is
still very useful.

-- PaulNM