Re: Wheezy VirtualBox guest 1920x1080 resolution

On Fri, 02 May 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Thu, 2014-05-01 at 15:46 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > I'm assuming you installed Virtualbox from the "official" Debian
> > Repo, and not from Oracle's Virtualbox Debian repo.
>
> What ever way, for what ever distro I chose, I always build VBox
> modules using DKMS.
>
> Assumed you set up on provided packages, then you limit yourself on
> provided kernels. Those provided kernels are unlikely good for special
> needs.

The only part of Virtualbox that requires DKMS rebuilding IIRC is its
kernel module.  And that only happens with a kernel upgrade.  The other
binaries don't change.  At least, they haven't on my system.

FWIW, I've had several "security" kernel upgrades since installing
Wheezy 64-bit last May, and the VB kernel module didn't require
rebuilding even though the system is set up to do so.  I guess the
kernel didn't change enough to require it.  An advantage of using
Stable, I guess.