Re: dict - phrase challenged

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 05:22:50PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> Anyone know why my giyf searches and man page readings are failing to
> determine how to search the gnu/linux dictionaries for a phrase?
>
> I am not only phrase challenged, but simple search challenged it seems too :)
>
> For example "coup d'etat" appears in the definition for "coup", as a
> sub-definition.
>
> The OED has various phrases, not just single words. I used to have
> good examples of two word phrases which are primary dictionary
> entries.
>
> NOTE: hyphenated phrases do work as expected eg:
> dict helter-skelter
>
> Some non-hyphenated phrases from dictionary dot com's word of the day:
> coup d'etat
> lese majesty
> ad rem

I suspect (I don't have dict installed, so I'm only reading
manpages.debian.net) that the solution it to specify a different
"strategy" (`dict -s foo "phrase"`, see `dict -S` for available
strategies). The dictd package (if you're using a local server) claims
to support useful strategies such as "exact", "prefix", "re"/"regexp"
and "substring".

HTH