Duplicate sources.list entry

This is a curious message:

#apt-get update

Reading package lists... Done

W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable/main
amd64 Packages

(/var/lib/apt/lists/dl.google.com_linux_chrome_deb_dists_stable_main_binary-amd64_Packages)

W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable/main
i386 Packages

(/var/lib/apt/lists/dl.google.com_linux_chrome_deb_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages)

If I go into /var/lib/apt/lists/ and remove dl.google.com etc. they are only
replaced automatically after closing the file (edited with vim saved and closed
with shift-ZZ)

obviously running apt-get update is not going to correct these problems so if
removing the listed duplicate sources.list entries is futile because these entries
are not actually in my sources.list. Is there some other sources.list the message
refers to?

I'm actually using the google chrome beta browser Version 35.0.1916.27 beta aura
from google and it works pretty damn good.

--
thanks for your consideration

System Information
GTK+ 2.24.23 / GLib 2.40.0
Locale: en_US.UTF-8 (charset: UTF-8)
Operating System: Linux 3.10-1-amd64 (x86_64)
jessie/sid combination

CK