Re: Adobe flash security

On 20140414_1902+0000, Артур Истомин wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 06:44:06PM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Monday 14 April 2014 17:49:59 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >
> > > But I am still getting, as I did in the first place,
> > >
> > > Installed plugins
> > > Find updates for installed plugins at mozilla.com/plugincheck
> > > Shockwave Flash
> > >
> > >     File: libflashplayer.so
> > >     Version: 11,2,202,346
> > >     State: Enabled
> > >     Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
> > >
> > > As a result of a mistake I made (I mv-ed libflashplayer
> > > from :/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree to /home/lisi/.mozilla/plugins/
> > > so had to cp it back again) I can see that it is indeed the correct
> > > libflashplayer.so, since the main system still thinks that it has
> > > got the correct version.  Why does Iceweasel not agree, and how do
> > > I persuade it to do so?  The Mozilla site just says to do exactly
> > > what I have done. :-(
> >
> > Nothing like answering my own question. :-(  I created
> > the .mozilla/plugins directory, but flashplayer was there before.
> > So obviously Iceweasel is looking somewhere else and all (all???) I
> > have to do is find out where.
> >
> > I have also changed the permissions on the libflashplayer.so file to
> > no avail.
>
> Lisi, I am very stupid man, sorry for that. Make this:
>
> apt-get remove --purge flashplugin-nonfree
>
> Make all under //not tested// and restart your browser.
>
> >From time to time follow by this bug
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=744263 As soon as the
> problem will be solved, remove plugin from .mozilla/plugins and install
> flashplugin-nonfree again.

Артур,

I was following this exchange and learning from it. With hindsight it
might have been done more directly, but one can only pretend to have
foresight after the third or forth time one sees the same situration
repeated. I score it a very helpful performance, at least for me.

Thanks.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net