Re: DynDNS no longer free.

On 08/04/14 02:51 PM, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
DynDNS just announced that their free hostname program in 30 days will no longer be gratis.
I use that with ddclient to update the IP address for my blog.
Are there other free alternatives?

Some routers have built-in support for DDNS, so you don't even have to run ddclient or similar. My ASUS router lists these under AdvancedSettings->WAN->DDNS:

www.asus.com
www.dyndsn.org
www.tzo.com
www.zonedit.com
www.dnsomatic.com
www.tunnelbroker.net
www.no-ip.com

I only looked at a couple before deciding to use the free service from ASUS that is included with the router, so I don't know which of the above are actually free. The domain name is not pretty: [yourhostname].asuscomm.com, but that doesn't bother me for my usage. The biggest problem is that if I ever switch to another brand of modem, I have to suffer another change in service and domain name.

Rick