Re: BD-R and wheezy

On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 11:05:42PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 06:32:01PM -0400, Kevin Price wrote:
> > Is there an easy way to burn BD-R on wheezy? I met a guy at a LUG that wanted to try linux but he lives out in the middle of nowhere and has 56k. Since I have cable, I downloaded the Blu Ray images using jigdo. I am having a lot of trouble burning them to disk. I tried basero, but that gives the error that the disk isn't supported. Is there a way to get this working?
> >

> > --
>
> Get a large enough stick - a 16G should work - and dd the .iso image to the stick. That forms a bootable USB stick from which you can then install - I did this
> a while ago to prove the point and there are discussions around with Richard Owlett on the lists - he's doing something vaguely similar.
>
> If you _only_ want to install from the stick to start, skip using a network mirror then go back and reconfigure the /etc/apt/sources.list afterwards.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> All the very best
>
> Andy Cater

Andy, It would have to be a very large thumb drive, like 64gb. I'm also not sure how that would work with apt-cdrom. The advantage to the two blu ray set is that it contains the entire wheezy distribution, so he could install everything if he wanted to and never use his internet connection.

I know I am in the extreme minority of users to even own a BD-R drive. I can't find any information as to wether burning BD-R is supported under wheezy.

I'd rather not upgrade to Jessie as several x86 windows programs I run with wine don't run at all under Jessie ATM. If I have to, I have a windows install I can use to burn the images but this is something I'd like to get working on debian.