Re: smokeping on jessie

On Wednesday 09 April 2014 15:25:27 andre@cyberh0me.net wrote:
> hello,
>
> please could you help me to install smokeping on jessie?
>
> i am using the testing repo
>
> <snip /etc/apt/sources.list>
> deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> deb-src http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ testing main
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main
>
> # wheezy-updates, previously known as 'volatile'
> deb http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ testing-updates main
> deb-src http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/ testing-updates main
> </snip>
>
> but there is no smokeping
>
> # aptitude install smokeping
> Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched
> "smokeping"
>
> whats the correct way to have a working smokeping on jessie?

https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=smokeping&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

Exact hits
Package smokeping

    squeeze (oldstable) (net): latency logging and graphing system
    2.3.6-5+squeeze1: all
    wheezy (stable) (net): latency logging and graphing system
    2.6.8-2: all
    sid (unstable) (net): latency logging and graphing system
    2.6.8-2: all
    experimental (rc-buggy) (net): latency logging and graphing system
    2.6.9-1~exp0: all

Pinning?  Wait for the one in Sid to move into Jessie?  Or for its
dependencies to do so?  I don't really know teh answer to your
question, since I do not know the _best_ way, but the archives now
have a clear statement that he package does in fact exist, just not
in Jessie.  I'm sure that you knew that already!

Lisi