XFCE upgrade wheezy->jessie feedback

Today, I upgraded my system from wheezy to jessie (mostly because I wanted to install the steam client). This has had at least two issues so far:

First, the XFCE panel at the bottom of my screen has materially increased its height (causing the bottom edges of my commonly used applications to now lie behind the task bar) without me taking any configuration action. This was a minor issue, easily remedied, but I don't think I should have had to remedy it in the first place.

Second, the clock, the notification area, and the workspace selector have changed their positioning behaviour. Instead of sitting in a fixed position at the bottom right of the screen as they did under wheezy, their horizontal position fluctuates according to the size of the Window Buttons item (which changes every time I open or close an application).

This strikes me as clearly suboptimal, and unlike the issue with the panel height (just tweak a slider in the panel properties), I cannot readily find a way to revert the positioning behaviour of these items to what it was under wheezy.

Can anyone advise?